If your marketing or sales team is delivering a message that makes promises that aren’t able to be delivered, then the relationship is doomed from the very beginning. It’s crucial that the marketing and sales departments collaborate and work together to achieve the same message. In other words, this collaboration results in an ideal experience for the company, customer, and overall success.
Let’s dive into some issues that might arise if the alignment of these departments doesn’t exist, along with simple strategies the teams should implement to engage in more successful communication, teamwork, and unity.It's crucial that the #marketing and #sales departments collaborate and work together to deliver the same message. Learn the importance of #alignment in @kilterly’s latest blog: Click To Tweet
Issues Without Alignment
If the marketing and sales teams don’t work together, there are several issues that could come about. Some of those issues include:
- Unclear Goals – Marketing teams tend to have a long term view of things, while sales teams want to manage their sales pipeline by meeting their quota.
- Lack of Communication – This leads to a significant dip in team productivity, mutual understanding, and trust between sales and marketing.
- Misinterpreted Roles – Mistaking roles can lead to sabotaging relationships between departments.
- Unaligned Strategies – This can lead to unnecessary efforts, process inefficiencies, lost opportunities, and wasted costs. Misaligned sales and marketing strategies can cost a company at least $1 trillion a year.
So how can you overcome these issues and build teams of success?
Here are 5 strategies to implement and ensure alignment and teamwork within your sales and marketing teams:
Strategies to Build Alignment
- Ensure Transparency
It’s impossible for a team to align if they don’t work together. Start aligning your marketing and sales teams by encouraging them to be clear and transparent. The teams should meet on a regular basis to share any goals set, and be open with their communication about any obstacles that have risen or wins they want to reach.
- Identify the Hand-Off Process
Identify when marketing has completed their job, and when the sales team should take over, all while ensuring both sides understand what the hand-off process looks like. This will ensure the sales strategy runs smoothly and the marketing team isn’t rushing leads to them.
- Create Typical Buyer Personas
There needs to be an agreement between marketing and sales when it comes to their target market. Creating a typical buyer persona will ensure the marketing team creates the necessary content and develops a strategy that fits the needs of the leads they are trying to bring in.
- Leverage Dashboard Reporting
A dashboard will allow you to report on all levels of marketing and sales activity. A clear view of your marketing and sales processes will guarantee your company long term success. It gives you a window into any challenges that may arise or if your teams aren’t aligned.
- Ensure Brand Touchpoints
A new strategy that companies are starting to jump on board with is assigning a marketing resource to customer success. The goal of this strategy is to assure touchpoints are directed around customer experiences that provide value through the entire journey. A few examples include:
- Product updates and best practices
- Customer success stories
- A communication plan aligned to the customer journey
- A customer renewal communication plan and process
- Net promoter scores and surveys
“No matter how the CRM industry evolves, getting the sales and marketing teams to synergize is organizational goal number one. Every success grows from their collaboration and the free exchange of ideas because you can’t serve the customer right when your best people are working blind.”
-Marshall Lager, Managing Principal at Third Idea Consulting
Alignment across multiple departments is sometimes a challenging thing to achieve, but it’s one of the most effective ways to improve results. Having the ability for your marketing and sales team to work together will ensure long-term success in a company. Build and sustain your marketing and sales teams and increase customer retention with our leading customer success software. Take control of your company today!